“Ah why did I not pay attention when they were building the walls.
But I never heard any noise or sound of builders.
Imperceptibly they shut me from the outside world.”
‘Walls’ by Constantine Cavafy
Q: What is keeping me in?
Q: And what am I keeping out?
Tom’s Reflections on These Questions
I love these questions. This poem initially came to me during the pandemic, which was a time when people worldwide were physically isolating themselves behind their castle walls. That was about keeping the world out and ourselves safe inside.
This also mirrors how we emotionally or psychologically wall ourselves off and prompts these questions:
- What am I afraid of in the outside world?
- What barriers have I built?
- What don’t I want the world to know about me?
- What roles do I play?
- What might happen if I knocked down the walls?
- Who might I stop being?
- Who might emerge from behind the walls?
The Curious Leaders programme is designed to foster a deep sense of curiosity about who you are as a person and as a leader. It challenges you to reflect on what you can do each day to become a more effective leader. The premise is that before we can truly lead others, we first need to lead ourselves.
It thus ultimately starts with self-leadership. This is about building a practice of reflection and action whereby we become increasingly curious about how our thinking is impacting our actions. This is the first step in building a world in which curiosity shapes leadership.
In this world, leaders aren’t boxed in by traditional thinking or established playbooks. They are open to fresh ideas and diverse perspectives, fostering a culture of exploration and learning. In truth, nurturing curiosity in leadership is essential if we are to address the key challenges of the 21st century.
How Might Tom Help?
- My first invitation is to take maximum advantage of the free content on this site, including signing up for my newsletter.
- I also endeavour to answer every email so if you have any queries do reach out – you will find my address if you are curious. Your future self will thank you!
- If you would benefit from a face-to-face conversation around your leadership journey, consider signing up for a Decision Coaching package (initial call plus follow up call).
- If you feel you would benefit from a chat without having to sign up for decision coaching, click on the button below to join the waiting list for the opportunity to speak face-to-face. No charge! You just need to make a case as to why we should speak.