Leadership is often treated as a role, as if it were something you did rather than something you lived. Authentic leaders, on the other hand, can bring their full selves and thereby lead from a much deeper place. Ask yourself:
Q: How much of my real self do I show at work?
Q: What do I feel I can’t I tell my colleagues?
Q: What masks do I wear?
Q: What might happen if I felt freer to bring more of myself?
Tom’s Reflections on These Questions
These feel like very powerful questions that can be applied to pretty much everything we do. We are social beings and tend to want to belong. This means that we sense the rules of the game within each group and play accordingly.
The upshot is that we feel we need to turn up in certain ways, follow certain unwritten rules, play certain roles and as a result self-censure.
Just ask yourself:
- What might I contribute to this group if I felt free of these constraints?
- How might that benefit the group?
- What downsides might there be for the group?
- Is this about me or the group?
As leaders, the final question is absolutely key. If we are in a leadership role, our job is surely to put the organisation or group first. If we don’t are we truly showing leadership?
The Curious Leaders programme is designed to foster a deep sense of curiosity about who you are as a person and as a leader. It challenges you to reflect on what you can do each day to become a more effective leader. The premise is that before we can truly lead others, we first need to lead ourselves.
It thus ultimately starts with self-leadership. This is about building a practice of reflection and action whereby we become increasingly curious about how our thinking is impacting our actions. This is the first step in building a world in which curiosity shapes leadership.
In this world, leaders aren’t boxed in by traditional thinking or established playbooks. They are open to fresh ideas and diverse perspectives, fostering a culture of exploration and learning. In truth, nurturing curiosity in leadership is essential if we are to address the key challenges of the 21st century.
How Might Tom Help?
- My first invitation is to take maximum advantage of the free content on this site, including signing up for my newsletter.
- I also endeavour to answer every email so if you have any queries do reach out – you will find my address if you are curious. Your future self will thank you!
- If you would benefit from a face-to-face conversation around your leadership journey, consider signing up for a Decision Coaching package (initial call plus follow up call).
- If you feel you would benefit from a chat without having to sign up for decision coaching, click on the button below to join the waiting list for the opportunity to speak face-to-face. No charge! You just need to make a case as to why we should speak.